The vision of the department is to become one of the top-tier chemical engineering departments in Asia through academic excellence, research and innovation.
We provide world class education in chemical engineering along with contemporary topics so that the graduates are prepared to take up various positions in a wide range of industries, academia and research organizations. Our research is focused on the emerging needs of the country in the fields of process control and safety, energy and environmental engineering, and biochemical engineering. We aspire to develop teaching and research in sustainable and environmentally benign processing of fuels and chemicals through good engineering practices.
Program Outcomes and Assessment
Program Outcomes (POs) or graduate attributes are narrower statements that describe what students are expected to know and be able to do by the time of graduation. These statements relate to the knowledge, skills and attitudes acquired by students while progressing through the program. The program must demonstrate that by the time of graduation, students have achieved an acceptable minimum level of certain knowledge, skills and behavioral traits. The BAETE specifically requires that students acquire the following graduate attributes:
- Engineering knowledge: Apply knowledge of mathematics, natural science, engineering fundamentals and an engineering specialization as specified in K1 to K4 respectively to the solution of complex engineering
- Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, research literature and analyse complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences and engineering sciences. (K1 to K4)
- Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design systems, components or processes that meet specified needs with appropriate consideration for public health and safety, cultural, societal, and environmental considerations. (K5)
- Investigation: Conduct investigations of complex problems using research-based knowledge (K8) and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of information to provide valid
- Modern tool usage: Create, select and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools, including prediction and modelling, to complex engineering problems, with an understanding of the limitations. (K6)
- The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to professional engineering practice and solutions to complex engineering problems. (K7)
- Environment and sustainability: Understand and evaluate the sustainability and impact of professional engineering work in the solution of complex engineering problems in societal and environmental contexts. (K7)
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of engineering practice. (K7)
- Individual work and teamwork: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams and in multi-disciplinary
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear
- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of engineering management principles and economic decision-making and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary
- Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological
Program Educational Objectives
The Graduates of the department will be able to
- achieve excellence for leadership positions in academia, industry, and government.
- provide sustainable and economic solutions to engineering problems
- work in multidisciplinary teams
- ensure global, ethical, cultural and social applicability of engineering solutions
- excel within large and small corporations and become successful entrepreneurs.